Saturday, November 10, 2007

So, we had JN's 18 month appointment on Tuesday, and I am really not happy with how it went. I love my pediatrician, but I think he was having an "off" day, because he was just not as friendly as he usually is. I knw he has small children, so maybe he just had a bad night. But, anyway, JN is very overweight for his age. He did not tell me a percentage, but usually he is at about the 97% range (and has been since birth), and on the chart, I could see thta it was a lot higher than that (maybe 110%) So, we are switching to 1% milk, and eating more veggies. I try & feed my kids in the healthiest way possible. I have just been so stressed & depressed (also, poor) that I have not really been into cooking, so we had a lot of mac & cheese & chicken nuggets. So, we need to work on that. He is also speech delayed, which I have suspected for a while. What I am upset about is that the ped said we should wait 6 months, and see if he starts talking more on his own, before we go forth with an evaluation. I agreed to 2 months, as I AM concerned. JN does not talk as much as his brothers did at this age. He makes sounds, but the only recognizable words are Mama & Dada. he's also not as much of a babbler as they were. Graantedm he walked MONTHS earlier than either of his brothers. So, Jan 2, I am calling & pushing for an evaluation. I just wish I had pushed more the other day. I am not good with confrontation (and if my husband ever finds & reads this blog, he is falling over laughing right now) with authority figures. 2 months really is acceptable, I'm just frustrated & upset with myslef right now.

2 comments:

Pollyanna said...

I feel like I am always giving you advice! I am sorry! :) I am bossy by nature, what can I say. I just wanted to tell you that you should go with your gut and fight for the testing you feel that your son needs. I have posted about my son a lot on my blog, I don't know if you read mine or not? But, I wish I would have fought harder to get Trent tested when he was a baby because it could have made a big difference for him now. I mean don't get me wrong, he's doing GREAT, but I wonder if he would not have some of the little struggles that he does (like thumb sucking and rubbing his ear when he's nervous) if I had really fought for some testing and intervention when he was smaller. SOOOO, go with your mothers insticts and keep fighting until you get somebody to take your concerns seriously. If you feel like your doc was having a bad day I would make a follow up appt and say that you are very concerned. If he still blows you off find a new doctor!

Violet said...

Hi Jodi~
Advice is always helpful, it helps a lot to know I am not alone. Jan 2, I am calling and demanding he be evaluated. He is making more sounds, and trying to talk, which is good. He is trying to talk, and is imitating sounds his big brothers make. I think he is just fine, but I am going to have him evaluated anyway :) I just know the next 6 weeks are going to be crazy with the holidays and all, so I'm not going to be pushy until after then.